Many of us are so busy that fitting in physical activity can seem impossible on most days. But here's some good news: It doesn't have to be a certain amount each day, as long as it adds up to at least 2½ hours of moderate activity a week.
- Ideas for fitting activity into your day at home:
- Take a few walks or bike rides during the day.
- Use a free smartphone app or online exercise video.
- Take a dance break.
- Push the lawn mower, rake leaves, or shovel snow.
- Give the kitchen floor a good scrubbing.
- Wash the car, clean the garage, or wash windows.
- Play Frisbee, hopscotch, or jump rope.
- Walk or bike to the store.
- Walk the dog.
- Read a newspaper or magazine on a stationary bike.
- Ideas for fitting activity into your day at work:
- Use your commute to work to do some extra walking.
You can park several blocks away, or get off the bus a few stops early.
- Take the stairs.
Use the stairs instead of the elevator, at least for a few floors.
- Take more walks.
Suggest holding meetings with colleagues during a walk. Or use your breaks to take quick 15-minute walks.
- Go the extra distance.
Get your coffee on another floor (use the stairs). Or use the restroom that's the farthest from your office. Walk to a coworker's office or workspace rather than using email or the phone.
Current as of: October 10, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine
Elizabeth T. Russo MD - Internal Medicine