When you use one part of your body in the same way over and over again, it can cause an overuse injury. Overuse injuries happen when you stress your joints, muscles, or other tissues without allowing them to recover. They can be caused by:
- Doing too much too soon.
- Doing intense exercise.
- Not varying your activity or exercise routine.
- Playing sports.
- Doing too much without proper conditioning.
- Not using the proper form for the activity.
- Not using proper equipment, such as wearing poorly fitting shoes.
- Doing too much of an activity at work.
Current as of: March 9, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
Heather Chambliss PhD - Exercise Science