There are things you can do while shopping to help prevent
- Put raw meat, poultry, eggs, fish, and shellfish in separate bags, and do not mix them with other food items.
- Do not buy meat or poultry that has a tear in the package or is leaking.
- Pick up your refrigerated and frozen items at the end of your shopping trip, so they are unrefrigerated for a shorter period of time.
- Drive directly home after finishing so you can store all foods properly. If you have a long drive, consider getting an ice chest for perishable foods.
- Do not buy canned foods if the cans are dented, leaking, bulging, or rusting.
Current as of: July 1, 2021
Author: Healthwise Staff
E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine