Chemical pinkeye (conjunctivitis) or toxic pinkeye is caused by getting smoke, liquids, fumes, or chemicals in the eye. Flushing the eye with running water must be done immediately to remove the toxic chemical or liquid.
Mild pinkeye can be caused by the chlorine in swimming pools. Most people don't need treatment. After the eye is rinsed free of the toxic substance, artificial tears or ointment may be used to decrease the redness and irritation.
Pinkeye from a chemical or toxic substance needs to be evaluated by a doctor.
Chemical pinkeye is not contagious.
Symptoms of serious pinkeye caused by a chemical or toxic substance include:
- Severe pain.
- Decreased vision.
- Large amounts of swelling.
Current as of: January 24, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine